Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Last night we did our final home-stay. I stayed at Thelma's house with Lindsay, Gracious, and Amanda. Pierre dropped us off at a bus stop, and we walked the rest of the way. Thelma's grandmother just started cracking up when she saw us coming, and her mom seemed so happy to have us. Two of her cousins also lived with her- a 17 year old girl and an adorable 5 year old boy that I wanted to bring home. We climbed some rocks and saw how they fetch water. Lindsay and I shared a bed and had to get up to use the bathroom in the middle of the night. We were just going to go in the bushes, but someone came outside so I went into the "toilet" which was just a triangle hole in block of cement. It was SO dark. Later that night we woke up to the other girls just peeing in a container in the bedroom. This home-stay made me very homesick, but I greatly appreciate the experience.
Yesterday we put on a club for the Matopo leaders, and then they put on one for us. They seem to be learning very quickly, so even though we have such a short time to prepare for camp, I have faith that it will be successful. 

1 Peter1:22, 4:8
Yesterday was really good to be back with everyone after the home-stay, and it was almost a relief to get the last one over with. Now I really appreciate Morning Star and being together with everyone. I didn't realized how much I had missed the city leaders until they got here. They are so much fun and so much easier to communicate with. We did some camp training and had a lot of spare time to relax which was so nice. These past few days are going by much faster than the beginning of the trip did which makes me less homesick. Although I'm ready to be home, I don't want to take advantage of my last days here. I have learned so much and seen how truly blessed I am. This experience has stretched me more than I could have ever imagined outside of my comfort zone which has taught me to cling to Jesus. Last night we sat around the bonfire, ate brownies, played games (attempted to- the Americans aren't very good at games that require rhythm), and told stories. 

The past few days have been exhausting. Saturday we deep-cleaned the entire camp site because it was in terrible condition. I scrubbed toilets, mopped floors, cut sheets, made beds, etc. Sunday afternoon campers got there before we were ready so we had to hold them outside the camp until we were done cutting soap and picking up glass. Last night was really rough- we had to serve each person individually at dinner. There were too many people trying to help out and it got out of control. I've been able to recognize a lot of campers/leaders that I was afraid I wouldn't be able to- Mrs. K's neighbors and Brian (he's one of my favorites) and Joe from Gifford. They all want to take pictures of us, and they often just stare at us. It's almost as if we are animals in a zoo. Today was the 1st full day of camp, and it was much better. Not only do I feel better and have a better attitude, but the day went by quickly, serving got easier, and the obstacle course went really, really well. Lindsay and I got to paint kids faces which was really neat because we could talk to them and get them excited about the OC.

Last night I was so tired and cold when we got back to Morning Star I couldn't write in my journal. The weather was really cold all day yesterday so we hung out in Pierre's truck and huddled in the leader lounge under a sleeping bag. I think one leader, Brian, is in love with me. He always gives me huge hugs and picks me up, calls me "my baby," and plays with my hair. Today when we were saying bye he said it was like a Titanic moment. After lunch, all the leaders and Americans gathered to pray and say our goodbyes. I had no idea how sad I would be, but when I saw Montana crying, I started to cry a lot. 112 kids stood up at say so, including 3 leaders- such affirmation from the Lord of why we did what we did. It was ALL worth it.

And now I've blogged my whole journal!

No comments:

Post a Comment