Thursday, June 21, 2012

I am possibly more overwhelmed with school than I have ever been... I guess this is just preparation for next year, which I am so nervous about- more on that later. Earlier this summer I went to the beach with my mom's side of the family (and Nicole). Sadly, Nicole and I had to come back early because I started classes at the end of May, but it was still so nice to be able to spend time with family and relax for a few days before beginning grad school. However, while I was there... my car decided to have some malfunctions. Not surprising, it did have over 182,000 miles on it, so it held up pretty well. This being said though, it had about reached it's last leg. Poor car. I bought some new parts and got them installed, drove home without much trouble, and then it decided to die about 8 times between my house and the next block on the way to class the next morning. I am so thankful that we made it home from the beach safely, but at this point I was freaking out about not making it to my first day of graduate school. Luckily Dane answered his phone after a few attempts at calling him, and he was about to head to campus so he picked me up (so thankful- especially since Dad wasn't answering!).

Anyway, my grandmother had expressed her concern at the beach with how far I would be driving every day next year to my internship in such an old car. At this point, though, as a broke grad student there wasn't much I could do about it. I had my car towed, got more maintenance done... and now the car was beginning to cost me more than it was worth. So Gana (grandmother) kept texting me asking me questions about my car and how much I thought I could trade it in for. My parents weren't of much help, as much as they tried, since none of us know anything about cars! Long story short... well, not that short, I guess (sorry!), Gana called me one day shortly after and asked me to bring my car to the dealership so they could tell us how much it was worth. I warned her that it was dirty, messy, and obviously had hail damage ALL over it... but she said to bring it anyway. We had a deal, and I knew the car wasn't going to be worth much so I was not expecting anything. Lo and behold, somehow things worked out... and I got a new car! I am SO THANKFUL because I really don't think my car would have made it many more miles. Also, I have never had a car that was NEW to me (all family hand me downs) much less NEW to the world! I still get so nervous driving it and am super protective of it! I am not usually one to blog about materialistic things, I hope, but I just wanted to give my sweet, sweet grandmother a shout out (because I know she's one of the few that reads this) for her generosity. I am beyond grateful for this graduation present that is going to be put to so much use and last me for many years!

So, Gana, I cannot begin to thank you enough! I am so excited, and I love my gift! It will definitely be put to LOTS of good use! It was much needed for this upcoming year, and I am forever thankful! I love you!


1 comment:

  1. Goodness.....you are just so sweet and I am so happy that you love your new car. I just could not let you continue to depend on that awful car you were driving......worried me to death !!! I love you so much.....

    ReplyDelete